Monday, September 5, 2011

A couple of weeks ago, I went on a 6 day trip in Algonquin park. Not just any old trip. 6 days of canoeing, portaging, lifting, grunting, bug swatting fun ... :)

It was a lot a of hard work (at least for me), but certainly worth it. Algonquin Park is absolutely beautiful! It's not a wonder that Tom Thompson spent his life living and painting in the area ...



Started in Magnetawan, with the first night in Butt Lake (now Ralph Byce). Second day two portages to Little Queer. Third day was long, with 2 extra long portages down Tim River, finishing in Shah Lake. Day four, a short travel to Misty. Day five, another long day, to Daisy. And finally on day six, a short trip back out Magnetawan.

Anything carried in, was carried out. The first days were the hardest, because the food was the heaviest. I don't think I could make a longer trip! Too much to carry!

I should note, that my buddies did the major heavy lifting. Hopefully I wasn't too much of a burden ...

When I went to Italy this summer, I carried my LowePro backpack with virtually all my gear.  But on this trip, I was worried both about getting wet and weight.  Keeping the gear dry would have been pretty easy.  But I'm glad I opted for the "light" option!  I took my wife's digital Elph.  Easy to carry and easy to keep dry.

But on the nights when the sunset was perfect, I still wished I had my tripod, a couple of ND filters, and the ability to control my aperture and shutter speed ...  Oh well, I still like my photos.

My friend had a pretty cool PS that was waterproof!  He actually took it right into the lake and took a few pictures of us swimming under water.  Now that was cool!


















No comments: